The Art Department at LAS promotes the appreciation and understanding of art as a discipline and its contribution to the culture and history of humanity in general and the Jewish people in particular. The instructors are exhibiting artists who bring the passion of the creative process into the classroom.
Students in studio art courses will learn the skills to create artworks in various media and develop their personal style. In class critiques, students will analyze each other’s artworks according to the art elements. Students in art and music history courses will learn how to “look” at and “experience” art. Students participate in field trips to major New York art museums and the Art Club. They have an opportunity to exhibit their work in the Flatbush campus student art gallery and lobby.
LAS alumni with the Visual Arts minor who have gone on to master's programs have pursued professional careers in art education, graphic design, interior design and fashion illustration. They have been employed in schools, recreation centers, architectural firms and various Jewish service organizations such as the OU.
Prof. Atara Grenadir serves as chair of the program in Flatbush.
Required for Minor (9-12 Credits):
- COAN 101 - Art of Western Civilization - 3 credits
Two of the following three courses:
- COAN 221 - Workshop in Studio Art I: Drawing - 3 credits
- COAN 222 - Workshop in Studio Art II: Painting - 3 credits
- COAN/MCDN 224 - Drawing and Painting I - 3 credits
Any Two/Three Electives From the Following (6-9 Credits):
- COAN/GCAN 166 - Introduction to the Visual Arts - 3 credits
- COAN 203 - Ceramics - 3 credits
- COAN/MCDN 225 - Drawing and Painting II - 3 credits
- COAN 226 - Workshop in Art: Painting II - 3 credits
- COAN 301 - Aesthetics of Modern Art - 3 credits
- COAN 302 - Jewish Art - 3 credits
- COAN 306 - Children’s Book Illustration - 3 credits
- COAN 316 - Jewish Archaeology - 3 credits
- COAN 227 - Foundations of Illustration - 3 credits
- MCDN 150 - Foundations of Design I - 3 credits
- MCDN 221 - Photography - 3 credits
- PSYN 209 - Introduction to Art Therapy - 3 credits
- PSYN 309 - Art Therapy II - 3 credits
- COAN 131 - Introduction to Music - 3 credits
- COAN 303 - Jewish Music - 3 credits
Total Credits in Program: 18
- Some computer graphics courses have specific prerequisites that must be met.
- Introduction to Psychology is a prerequisite for Introduction to Art Therapy.
- The same courses cannot be used for a major and for the visual arts minor.
- At most two elective art history courses can be counted towards the minor.