Professional Options in the Health Sciences
Touro College offers a joint B.S. / M.S. degree in Occupational Therapy through its School of Health Sciences, located both in New York City and Bay Shore, Long Island. Lander College for Women students enjoy preferential admissions to these highly competitive programs. Prerequisite courses for admission to these programs are offered at Lander College for Women and then students continue on the School of Health Sciences. Qualified students may also separately apply and be admitted to The School of Health Sciences directly from high school, after being accepted to Lander College for Women. Applicants must have an SAT score of at least 1100 and an overall average of at least 85. Upon completion of the prerequisite courses at the Lander College for Women, and all other admission requirements, students admitted to these programs may immediately continue with the professional phase of their education. For additional information about admission to the School of Health Sciences call or write Touro College, School of Health Sciences, 1700 Union Blvd., Bay Shore, NY 11706 Tel. (631) 665-1600 x6505 or learn more about the OT admission requirements online.
Touro College offers a three-year, upper-division curriculum leading to a combined Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Health Sciences and Master of Science (MS) degree in Occupational Therapy. Graduates of the program are eligible to take the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) examination. Core course requirements for admission include the satisfactory completion of at least 60 liberal arts and sciences credits including:
Required Science Courses (12 credits)
- BIO 101 - Principles of Biology I - 4 credits
- BIO 102 - Principles of Biology II - 4 credits
One of the following:
- CPC 101 - General Chemistry I - 4 credits
- CPP 101 - General Physics I - 4 credits
Other Required Courses (44 credits)
- PSY 101 - Introduction to Psychology - 3 credits
- PSY 201 - Developmental Psychology - 3 credits
- PSY 335 - Abnormal Psychology - 3 credits
- LLE 101 - English Composition I - 3 credits
- LLE 102 - English Composition II - 3 credits
- MAT _ - College Math or above - 3/4 credits
- MAT 261 - Statistics for Social Sciences - 3 credits
- SOC 103 - Introduction to Sociology - 3 credits
- 24 Credits in Liberal Arts & Sciences (no more than 12 credits in one subject area)
- BIO 222 - Anatomy and Physiology I - 4 credits
- BIO 223 - Anatomy and Physiology II - 4 credits
Total Credits 60
- Each Health Science School sets its own requirements for admission. The above list patterned after the requirements at Touro’s own Health Science School. The requirements listed above are minimums only.
- Forty hours of volunteer experience under the supervision of a licensed Occupational Therapist completed within the last three years. Experience with more than one type of setting or population is strongly recommended.
- Current CPR certification is required at time of admission.
- These courses do not satisfy the requirements to graduate from The Lander Colleges